This post updates data posted in April 2014. It covers what Grant Writers are paid as compensation in terms of median salaries. Another post will cover average salaries for Grant Writers. Subsequent posts will provide updated data about Grant Writers’ compensation in terms of hourly rates and consultants’ fees. All data will be for the United States of America.
What Grant Writers earn reflects many factors. Among them are years of experience, level of educational attainment, geographic location, and the nature of the employer.
Nationally, Salary.com reported in April 2015 that the national median annual salary for “Grants/Proposal Writers” was $62,659. The middle 50% earned from $56,085 to $70,563. The bottom 10% earned $50,100 or less; the top 10% earned $77,760 or more. These base salaries represented about 70% of total compensation; the other 30% were fringe benefits and bonuses.
Calculated on a full 52-week year, the same national median annual salary works out to $1,204.98 per week and the range for the middle 50% becomes from $1,078.56 to $1,356.98 per week. Calculated over a 2,080-hour work-year, the same national median annual salary works out to $30.12 per hour, and the same range for the middle 50% becomes from $26.96 to $33.92 per hour.
Median Salaries By Selected Cities:
As of April 2015 ‘median annual salaries’ in selected cities searched on Salary.com ranged from $50,171 in Helena, Montana to $76,513 in San Francisco, California. Most of the medians for these cities fell in the range of $60,000 to $65,000.
The data from PayScale.com are presented for purposes of comparison; by themselves, they shed little light on the subject. (Note: A dash — indicates no data available.)
|Median Annual Salaries — 2015 Data|
|New York, NY||$73,881||$45,902|
|San Francisco, CA||$76,513||$53,805|
|Los Angeles, CA||$68,699||$52,112|
|Salt Lake City, UT||$59,570||—|